OC Healthy Communities Forum 2014
Building a Healthier Orange County
by Connecting Planning and Health
The breakfast and lunch plenaries can now be seen on YouTube:
Presentations have been posted on the Program page.
Click here for map exhibits showing Orange County transit access, park access, street intersection density, educational attainment, and HEAL cities. Thanks to Orange County Health Care Agency for preparing those.
AICP CM credits have been approved for the breakfast plenary and 10 other sessions, for a total of 9.0 credits. You can find the event in APA’s CM Activities Calendar by entering 26084 into the Activity By Date search box. The provider is APA California Chapter, Orange Section—and we thank them for their efforts to get these CMs approved!
Original Event Info:
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
UC Irvine Student Center Conference Center
A311 Student Center, Irvine, California 92697
8 am – 4 pm
This information-rich, interactive day will be focused on supporting attendees in their efforts to foster healthy communities, by providing tools and creating opportunities to find potential partners. If you are a planner, an elected or appointed official, a public health professional, or a resident looking to make a difference in your community, this day is for you!
- Opening plenary by Linda Rudolph, MD, MPH, who chaired the California Strategic Growth Council’s Health in All Policies Task Force as a deputy director of the California Department of Public Health, and who is now leading a Public Health Institute project to advance the integration of Health in All Policies in local jurisdictions around California. Dr. Rudolph’s leadership has brought multi-agency teams together to create healthier places. Come learn how you can create a local team and why you would want to.
- Educational sessions on funding, community engagement, using and interpreting data, economic development, active transportation, and planning tools.
- Lunch plenary by Berkeley Media Studies Group on “Healthy Communities Messaging.” Why does the built environment matter and how do we communicate about this with our various audiences? Learn tools and strategies for leading these conversations.
- Interactive Q&A “express clinics” on strategies to assess and improve components of a healthy community environment: streets, retail, and new development. Also, resident training and success stories.
- Facilitated discussions between attendees, including an action meeting for local HEAL Cities that have passed Healthy Eating Active Living resolutions.
Registration $35 + online ticketing fee / UCI parking $10
Light breakfast, lunch, and afternoon refreshments will be provided.
AICP planners: The conference committee is pursuing CM credits for this event.
OC Healthy Communities Forum 2014 is hosted by CHANGES, a multi-sectoral, regional network of advocates, scholars and practitioners working to address persistent health disparities in underserved communities across the five-county Southern California area.
Organizing committee: UCI Community Outreach Partnership Center (COPC); Orange County Health Care Agency; and RBF Consulting, A Michael Baker Company
Spread the word! Download the event flyer.